Monday, April 10, 2006

Colossians 2v8-14

Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

I have, at times, been taken captive by the philosophy of men. I have been enticed to adopt the trappings of this world. And for what? Temporal pleasures. I have knowingly abandoned the joy of Christ for the fleeting pleasures of this world, and yet His love for me remains. He draws me back to Him once again. I praise the Lord He doesn’t simply leave me where I lay, covered with soil, wallowing in the mud. Rather, He restores me to His banquet table and places a banner over me, marking me as His own, for all to see. The only way I can recognize the beliefs of the world (which are in opposition to God) and refute them, is by devoting myself to the Word and to prayer. The only way I can devote myself to these things in a lasting manner is by the sustaining grace of God. I find it incredible that the Lord has mercy on me, yet I will forever be thankful for this.

Psalm 119:9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.

Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

___________________________________________________________________

Colossians 2:13-14 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

O, I love that last sentence. Only the Lawgiver has the right to set aside the record of debt. Only the One who has been sinned against has the power to forgive the sinner. I was dead in my trespasses. I had no opportunity to justify myself before the Lord. “Dead” is such a great word here because it conveys a clear meaning. Death provides finality in our minds that we are not able to overcome by simply imagining what is on the other side of it. This verse says the Lord made me alive, as He is alive (that is, truly alive; not the illusion of life we see now), and He did this by canceling the debt against my account. The Law brought knowledge of sin, and with sin came death (Romans 7:10; Romans 6:23). The Lord provided a perfect sacrifice in order to atone for the sins I have committed. I love this sentence: This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. It’s such a wonderful statement I don’t even know what to say about it! It overjoys my heart to read it!

Again, after all I learn, I’m returned to this: Psalm 69:6 Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord God of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home