Tuesday, May 02, 2006

my Conduct...

I live among the wreckage of a fallen world that fights against the glory for which it was created. There is, however, a proper way to conduct myself in this world, that were I not seeking it daily in the Word and in prayer, I would miss. Too often, I hurry through my day, assimilating the philosophies of this world, while relegating the reproof of Scripture to some back closet in my mind.

Colossians 3:1,2 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

When I consider what things are above, where Christ is, at the right hand of God, I’m reminded that only Holy things are there. I am to set my thoughts on the things that are Holy, just as I noted last evening (Philippians 4:8).

While in this world, I’m not to be corrupted by it’s materialism (Matthew 6:19-24). As a Christian, the most important driving force in my life should always be the glory of the Lord. This means my focus should not be money or the pursuit of the things it can buy. Good grief, this can be tough many times, because of the never-ending barrage of advertisements telling me that whatever I have currently is not good enough. . .I should buy whatever the newest gadget is they are peddling. TVs are not big enough, stereos not loud enough, houses not ritzy enough, cars not glamorous enough, computers not fast enough, breasts not large enough, lips not pouty enough, butts not ghetto enough. . . or too ghetto. It’s ridiculous, the things we are told to chase after by the world, in light of Scripture’s clear teaching that these things are not important or eternal!

While in this world, I’m not to be corrupted by it’s apathy towards the Lord (Luke 12:13-21). It’s trendy to be spiritual, but not towards the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It’s cool to have a religion that you use for advice, so long as it’s not exclusive in it’s membership. Moral relativism is pervasive in our society. This is the notion that there is no absolute truth, and that what is “true” for one person is not necessarily “true” for another. This is the platform used to propagate “tolerance,” which is another hot topic for me (to be addressed later, maybe). Tolerance is the term used by our society to mean support for the beliefs of all people equally, except for those who believe in something very exclusive (such as Christianity, that teaches Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven). The world wants a religion that isn’t intrusive or demanding or judgmental. For those who are perishing, religion can truly become an “opiate for the masses.” For the Christian, however, the precepts of the Lord are intrusive into every aspect of life, demanding in worship, and judgmental to the point of defining what is holiness and what is sin.

If I love the world, and use my vaporous life to pursue the things of the world, the Bible is very clear about my relationship with God (1 John 2:15-17). People can argue contrary to me, but Scripture is clear in this matter. It is my humble hope to convey the Truth of Scripture as clearly as a finite intellect attempting to grasp the infinite is able to do.

Colossians 3:5-8 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these you too once walked, when you were living in them. But now you must put them all awayL anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Colossians 3:12-13 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

I don’t have much more to say, other than the fact that I don’t do most of the things I talk about very well. I am a clumsy man in need of my Savior every day.

(Philippians 3:13,14)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home