Thursday, May 25, 2006

His glory

HIS GLORY, my response

I get up in the morning, and I’ve sinned in my thoughts even before my day has really begun. I don’t even need to leave the house in order to sin, to blaspheme my Lord. I wonder: if I could see the glory of God, would I be so cavalier in my handling of His blood?

Revelation 1:12-18 Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white like wool, as white as snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.”

When I read Scripture, my sinful nature tends to blur my understanding; instead of interpreting Scripture honestly, and submitting, I manipulate it to agree with the way I want to live. The result of this mishandling of Scripture is that I don’t see the glory of God. . . rather, I see the “glory” of John.

see Exodus 33:18-23
see Exodus 34:29-35
see John 17:1-13

Scripture indicates that, were I to see the glory of the Lord, I most certainly would not respond in the manner I do. This would be life-changing.

Psalm 19:1,2 The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.

Isaiah 6:1-6 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!” And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have the King, the Lord of hosts!” Then on the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for.”

see Ephesians 1:12
I was created for the praise of His glory!

O Lord, my response to You is so far below what you have called me. I buck against that for which I was created, instead seeking the elevation of my own status at the expense of a deeper relationship with You. Please forgive me and have mercy on me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation in You. Create in me a thirst only satisfied through You. Please let me see You, that this wandering wretch would know on Who to focus in this world. Thank You for
Your mercy shown in my life,
Your numerous blessings,
Your patience,
Your discipline,
Your love,
Your grace,
taking notice of someone so insignificant in the vastness of Your creation.
May I live according to the precepts of Your Word, submitting to Your authority in my life. Thank You in advance for accomplishing in my life all that You please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home