Monday, September 18, 2006

I am rich, but am I content?

I headed down the airplane aisle to find my seat. I am very tired from a busy, but wonderful week spent with the woman my heart loves like no other. Missing her immensely, my thoughts are inwardly focused, and selfish. It's all about me, isn't it? I reach my seat, 4B (aisle), to see a very fat lady sitting in 4A (window), She is large enough that her fat is crawling over the armrest, and in fact, under it as well...over into my seat area. I am unable to use the armrest on my left side, and even with my arm not on it, her fat still presses against me. I get situated quickly into my seat, click the seatbelt tight, and try to get comfortable, since the flight is about 2-2.5 hours. I can never get completely comfortable on these planes; the seats are not comfortable, or spacious. Though my knees clear the seat in front of me by several inches, it still seems there isn't enough leg room. The seat reclines back just enough to tease me with the prospect of reclining for a nap, but not actually being able to do so enough to be useful. Really, could I complain any more? Anyway, I sat there complaining to myself, when I began to notice and observe the lady sitting next to me, who was snoring already (we were still sitting at the gate). Her legs are stuffed down into the floorboard, with her knees pressing firmly into the seat in front of her, Her hips do not have enough room to fit in her seat -- she is kind of "packed" into it by force. She has no room to put her arms down to her sides. All of this -- yet she sleeps -- snores even -- I know she probably can't be very comfortable, even though she seems to be, since she's sleeping so soundly.

As I sat there selfishly, I began to realize how "rich" I was -- I really had no legitimate reason to be pitying my situation, especially when compared to the lady next to me. I had plenty of room compared to her, yet I acted as though I had none. The Lord humbled me right then and there -- He showed me what it means to be content in all situations. My heart felt compassion on this lady next to me. She must deal with this every time she travels -- no seats are ever big enough, or comfortable; no passengers want to sit next to her because she crowds their seats. Does anyone show, outwardly, this negative impression of her? I'm sure she experiences it not uncommonly. She slept soundly the entire flight, so we never spoke, but she humbled me. I prayed for her...mostly because I was ashamed of myself. I prayed also for myself: to have contentment in all situations. I wish I could sit here and write that my initial response was different; that my thoughts were initially, reflexively holy, but they weren't. I pray the Lord would replace my worldly eyes, that only see a lacking, with spiritual eyes that only focus on heavenly things, that look everywhere with love, fully content with the present situation the Lord has provided. God is so good, to show me through daily life, the lessons in holiness He wants me to learn. He shows me how far below the mark I am, that I would not be proud -- that I would continue to realize my complete need of Him. I am richly blessed indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home