Saturday, September 23, 2006

Holiness

Holiness

Romans 6:6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

We share in the death of Christ, and also in His resurrection to eternal life (Romans 6:3-5). This is symbolized by our baptism after we have become believers. The death of Christ was to conquer the binding power of sin, and His resurrection was to eternal life, only possible when sin is conquered. It is a wonderful thing that we share in this, if, in fact, we believe in the Lord (Romans 1:16-17).

I am being made more holy every day I walk with the Lord; this is sanctification. Sanctification is only possible for those who believe in the Lord. For the one who doesn’t believe in the Lord, that person is still enslaved to sin, and therefore unable to be “enslaved” to righteousness in the Lord.

Romans 6:20-23 When you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? The end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I can be confident that although I will not reach completed sanctification (which is glorification) on this side of heaven, I am still getting closer to this reality every day I live for the Lord. The Lord will complete this work in me with finality when I die, which is why Paul speaks of dying as gain (Philippians 1:21). I am encouraged because He promises to complete this in me (Philippians 1:6), even when I am persuaded to be discouraged because I know deep down what kind of person I really am.

God All Sufficient
O Lord of grace,

The world is before me this day,
and I am weak and fearful,
but I look to thee for strength;

If I venture forth alone I stumble and fall,
but on the Beloved’s arms I am firm as the eternal hills;

If left to the treachery of my heart I shall shame thy Name,
but if enlightened, guided, upheld by thy Spirit, I shall bring thee glory.

Be thou my arm to support,
my strength to stand,
my light to see,
my feet to run,
my shield to protect,
my sword to repel,
my sun to warm.

To enrich me will not diminish thy fullness;
All thy lovingkindness is in thy Son,
I bring him to thee in the arms of faith,
I urge his saving Name as the One who died for me.
I plead his blood to pay my debts of wrong.

Accept his worthiness for my unworthiness,
his sinlessness for my transgressions,
his purity for my uncleanness,
his sincerity for my guile,
his truth for me deceits,
his meekness for my pride,
his constancy for my backslidings,
his love for my enmity,
his fullness for my emptiness,
his faithfulness for my treachery,
his obedience for my lawlessness,
his glory for my shame,
his devotedness for my waywardness,
his holy life for my unchaste ways,
his righteousness for my dead works,
his death for my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home