Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Wisdom

Wisdom

The Lord continues to daily increase my knowledge and my faith in Him, convincing me more completely of my need of Him.

I am learning that wisdom is different than I thought it was.

I am learning that when I begin to think I’m wise, I am not.
I am learning that what the world touts as wisdom is really foolishness to the Lord. He is recreating, in my mind, the picture I have of wisdom (to be conformed to His definition), and showing me how unique His wisdom is.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

“Eloquent wisdom.”

Greek NT
1 Corinthians 1:17
Not for delegated me Christ to immerse but to tell good message, not in wisdom of word, that not might be emptied the cross of the Christ.

Paul makes a clear distinction between the wisdom of spoken words and the wisdom of God. This point is reiterated in v.20. The wisdom of the world, of spoken words is not true wisdom, though it appears to be (and it may still contain kernels of truth).

Romans 1:19-23 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

That the world has “exchanged the glory of the immortal God” is demonstrated in our society’s focus on the philosophy of humanism, or the celebration of the goodness of man. This is in stark contrast with Scripture (Romans 3:10-12), that says all men are inherently bad.

1 Corinthians 1:21-24 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Could the wisdom of the world and the wisdom of God be any more diametrically opposed? The world says that goodness and wisdom are found in man, yet the Lord says that not only is goodness and wisdom not found in man, He says it is only found in the Lord.

To steadfastly cling to the wisdom of man is pride.

God opposes the prideful (James 4:6), without fail.

James 3:13-18 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

Yes, I am learning that wisdom is different than what I thought it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home